This recipe was found on the UK Pagan forum and has been known as Kitty’s Herbed Beer Bread and Scottish Pagan Federation recruitment bread. It is an incredibly easy bread recipe, and is addictingly delicious! You can put any herbs and beer you like in it so you can experiment with different flavors for different celebrations.
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped fresh herbs (I often use Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Chives, and Garlic)
12 oz beer (I like to use good beer but I think any will do)
1/4 cup butter
- Mix the dry ingredients and then stir in beer – mixture should be stiff and fall off spoon in globs.
- Spoon mixture into the loaf tins
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter. Pour liberally over the dough and pop in the oven for 30 minutes for small loafs, 45 for bigger ones.
- The bread is done when top is golden brown. Cool in pans for 15 minutes, then turn out upside down and cool out of pans for 15 minutes.
- Alternative breakfast version – instead of herbs sprinkle globs of batter with cinnamon, brown sugar, and nuts before baking.